Thursday, February 21, 2013

P-L-A-Y S-T-A-T-I-O-N

So yesterday was the Sony press conference. And unfortunately, due to my poor internet connection I was unable to actually watch it. I could just read all the second hand accounts of what people had said.

So since you can just find the specifics of what was said just about anywhere. I'll be more focusing on what was said after the show.

First off the Playstation will not be backwards compatible which sucks. But it does save on the cost of producing the PS4. Some reports have thought that since consumers understand prices and are more cost conscience, the PS4 may be closer to the $200-300 range as apposed to the $400-600 range. This seems like an odd thing to say as the PS3 is still selling for about $350. However Sony is trying to cut costs where they can without diminishing the products usability.

Sony does have a plan for backwards compatibility however. They will be including an emulator on the PSN for the PS4. This will allow the PS4 to play digital copies of PS3 games. It may be possible that if you get the emulator that the system will be able to still be able to play the games. Unless they decide to change the way system reads or handled the Blu-ray or finds some new game breaking disk format. Another option that have come up with is Cloud Services or streaming your games. I'm not 100% sure on how that works. If you turn on your PS3 and it connects to the PS4 or if there will be some sort of software exchange from your PS3 to your PS4. I really have no idea. But to idea of still being able to play my PS3 games on my PS4 is nice to hear. Unless its some convoluted way, I'm interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment